Friday 23 May 2014

My Experience With RSS Feeds

This week, I explored yet another new tool online: an RSS reader called Feedly. I subscribed to about 20+ websites while exploring it but I had trouble subscribing to feeds using the icon on my browser toolbar so I decided to try a different RSS reader. Being a Google user, my first choice was Google Reader, but to my surprise it was discontinued last year due to declining use (which made me wonder why less people were using RSS readers- Information overload maybe?). Anyway, I decided to just leave it at that and keep using Feedly since I've been pretty busy with work lately. Other than the minor problem I had using the RSS icon, Feedly is a simple site to use. It also suggests new sites to follow based on my existing subscriptions, which has been fun so far but I am afraid that I might soon get overwhelmed with all the information available for me to read. Feedly does, however, have a 'read it later' option so I don't have to worry about information overload for now. I subscribed to the New York Times for news updates, but I haven't been really following those feeds since I already have a news app on my phone that provides me with constant updates on current news all over the world. I've been mostly enjoying reading feeds on blogs, which aren't necessarily enriching my learning. A while back someone had shared a link to a blog called Fashion by Mayhem in which a mother posts pictures of dresses her daughter makes out of paper.
Angie. (2013). "Mayhem" [Screenshot]. Retrieved from http://www.fashionbymayhem.com/
She usually writes a paragraph or two explaining the inspiration behind the design and updates on how famous her daughter is getting. This child is honestly a prodigy. The designs and patterns she creates for her dresses look like the ones a professional designer would come up with and sell for millions of dollars. I was following the blog for a while, back when I had just found out about them, but soon forgot about it and stopped visiting their blog. Then I learned about RSS feeds and decided to subscribe to their blog, along with many others I had once visited but stopped following because I forgot about them. Now instead of aimlessly surfing the Internet on my free time I can just read the updates on my Feedly. My favourite post on Fashion by Mayhem was the one in which Mayhem (that's the child's nickname for anonymity purposes) designs a dress inspired by an image she found on Google while searching for 'Project Runway dresses'. Here's the link to the post: Anatomy of a Paper Project Runway Dress.
Angie. (2014, January 23). "Project Runway Dress" [Online Image]. Retrieved from http://www.fashionbymayhem.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment