Friday 25 April 2014

Internet, be my friend?

For most people in university, May is that time of the year when the slightest thought about school is completely out of mind. Exams are done and the stress is over. Time to enjoy the summer by hanging out with friends, going to the beach, spending time at the cottage, or just relaxing. Well that's not the case for me. Being enrolled in a co-op program means that a regular four year program turns into five years of school since you have to complete three 4-month work placements in between academic terms (that's an extra 12 months if you do the math). Wanting to be in the same graduating class as friends who were enrolled in the regular four year program, I decided to fast track my university experience. I rearranged my co-op work term schedule in a way that I was able to take courses in the spring and have all my program requirements met within four years. It has been a long and hard road, but it has been one that I am thankful to have gone through. I am currently half a credit and a work placement away from meeting my program requirements. Some would think that working full time while taking spring courses can be a bit too much, but believe me when I say that choosing which course to take this summer was hard work. The ideal summer course had to meet at least three requirements:
1) It had to be a course which prerequisites I had met, or preferably a course that had no prerequisites at all
2) It had to be offered at night since I would be working full time during the day, or better yet be offered online so I could work on it during my own time
3) It had to be a subject that interests me (because let's be real, why would I torture myself even more by taking a course which content I would be miserable learning?)

So here I am ADED 1P32: an online course that focuses on learning with contemporary media in digital university-level contexts. Although I would not consider myself someone to be technologically challenged, I am definitely not one to venture off to social media sites (except for Facebook). I cannot tell you the amount of times my friends have asked me to create accounts for websites, such as Pinterest and Twitter, which I had no interest in joining because Facebook was already enough of a distraction in my already busy university life. I believe that this course, however, will force me to come out of my comfort zone in order to become a digital citizen and create a positive digital footprint. Within a week I have managed to create a Pinterest account and "pin" some resources onto my "board", AND create a blog (which actually took longer than I thought it would). I honestly never thought I would be writing a blog, yet here I am. So hello Internet, you will be seeing more of me around. Oh, and please be nice to me. I need to pass this course so that I can finally graduate!
Retrieved from https://www.ccsf.edu/

1 comment: